I've changed my mind about zines

From my zine, To Destroy Something Beautiful 

I used to turn my nose up at zines and poke fun at them. Not because of the content or quality, ok sometimes because of that, but mainly because of the sales pitch.
It annoyed me so much to be on social media and be hit with a barrage of BUY MY ZINE! LINK IN BIO! over and over. Zine makers felt like used car salesmen.  Don't wait, limited time only, BUY MY ZINE TODAY!
I'm all for capitalism, make your coin, but seeing that was draining to my spirit.  Is there a balance to be found between simply raising funds and putting your creation into the world because you feel it warrants being seen?
I can say now that I got off my perch and got over myself about zines. If I feel a certain way about someone's marketing strategy regarding their art making /selling, that's my problem.  I can keep scrolling or put them on mute or unfollow. 
I had been reluctant to make a zine for purchase because I felt like it would be seen as a soulless venture to get a few bucks.  But when social media, Instagram in particular for me, was sparked into paying closer attention to what artists of color were doing, I saw my opportunity.  I had popped up on a feature account's list of artists of color to follow. I suddenly had 100 new eyes on my work. Why not make a zine while I have this momentary spotlight on me?  I joked about monetary gain by assuaging white guilt to make myself feel better about putting a piece of myself out into the world and *gasp* for sale. Always a risky proposition, making something you care about, public. You're then opened up to comments and opinions that you may not be prepared for.  
That's exactly what happened. I received such kind and encouraging responses that I didn't really expect and a few sales of my zines, To Destroy Something Beautiful, a zine of religious sculptures shot on film and then souped in witch hazel and other components and Stay At Home (I was never good at following orders), a zine of two weekend jaunts with a couple friends of mine around Kansas while we were off work from the covid shutdown. Both are available through Magcloud. Both I am very proud of. I'm ready to do another! 


Comments

  1. All three of these zines are works of art. I've felt much the same about zines and your willingness to get passed yourself has encouraged me to give it a go as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your fans have been clamoring for a zine for awhile now. Working on one might be therapeutic!

      Delete
  2. Glad you joined the zine world! I really like yours, and the grain bin zine. I made my first zine hoping to cover my costs (I didn't) but mostly hoping to be able to share them with other photographers. I think most copies have either been given away or traded, and that feels better to me than going ham on marketing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the costs. I didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of copies of my zines so that was my reasoning for going with a print on demand service. I do have an idea for another publication but I really shouldn't say much more than that before I fully flesh out the idea. But I'm excited! Always when inspiration strikes. I'll have to see about getting a copy of your zine.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts