Other side of the lens

One day I was thinking about how I take photos of my friends and that I have no one to take any flattering ones of me. I felt really down about it too, like no one wants a picture of me, to remember me. I don't want to be invisible, most importantly to myself.  So you know what I did?  I threw some money at the problem!
I had connected with a local photographer through the sale of my zine (A Love Letter to Kansas) and I liked her style of portraiture.  She offered very reasonably priced short sessions on her Instagram story I spotted so I booked my session. 
We met up at the Wichita Art Museum and strolled the grounds and snapped my photo.  I know myself well, impatient and a bit controlling, I knew I'd have a hard time waiting for the photos to come so I asked that she shoot a roll of Konica VX400 Monochrome I brought and I would send it off to the lab myself.  She obliged and those are the photos you see on this post.  I did get the instant photos she shot in the mail not long after the session but as of this blog post, I don't have the others. That's fine, I have these and I really like them. 
Of course when I look at pictures of myself, there are things I don't like but those do not outnumber the things I like. She did a very nice job of capturing the moments.  I did feel like I could have used more direction.  I felt like I was doing the same things over and over.  Maybe she's more accustomed to working with models and they can go through a variety of poses without much prompting. I don't know I'm merely speculating. Overall I'm counting it as a win. Check out Mary Kate O'Brien, @obrienartistry on Instagram. 

Comments

  1. These are nice D. This is why I don't particularly care to do portrait photography, I suck at directing. I really like that you did this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself only shoot people I know and that are comfortable with me and being in front of the camera. Makes things a lot easier when they can move on their own and do what you tell them. That's why you see me shoot the same people (well person now, my supply has dwindled 🤣) over and over.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts